Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Indian Wedding Reception

On Monday I went to a friend's parent's friend's son's wedding - I might have been a little out of place. Fortunately, not as out of place as the white guy I brought with me. You can check out his blog for his experience as well: sghill.blogspot.com

After hearing that his parents were going to a wedding, Anup suggested that they take me along with them. I love learning about different cultures and the wedding was a great opportunity for me. Of course, that doesn't mean I went in fearless. Luckily the night went well.

Relief #1:
Anup's dad speaks excellent English.
Before that first phone call from him, I was dreading that I wouldn't understand him, make him repeat himself endlessly, and offend him to no ends. Thankfully, there wasn't trouble communicating with him, and I didn't need to deal with a language barrier.

Relief #2:
The bride and groom didn't freak out when we showed up.
So I didn't just attend a wedding reception and hide in the background. I shook the groom's hand, and with the help of Anup's dad, I even presented him with a flower bouquet. The groom definitely showed some confusion, but I'm guessing he didn't know all the other 2000+ people there anyway. He was probably more angry at the family that I watched throw petals in his face. Not a toss. There were petals all up in his face.
Indian Wedding_14
Left to Right: Steve, me, the married couple, Anup's mom, Anup's aunt, Anup's dad, some guy

Relief #3:
The food didn't kill me.
Since so many people with all different tastes were in attendance, they made most of the dishes milder than usual. I ate panipuri, palak naan, paneer makhani, "Italian" pasta, ice cream pizza, and all kinds of stuff (Everything was vegetarian by the way).

DSCF1558

They even gave me a coconut for a parting gift
DSCF1563
Thanks Vinita and Rupesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment