Sunday, August 15, 2010

Some Indian Culture Notes

Before I came here, I was told some things about India, and I had my own perceptions as well. I used to think that the majority of India was vegetarian, but according to some locals, they estimate that only about 20% of India is still completely vegetarian. Most people tend to eat chicken, eggs, etc; the main thing that's still avoided is the consumption of beef due to the cow being a sacred animal. Every restaurant I've been to and every menu I've seen have meat dishes available. I thought I'd be forced to live as a vegetarian for 6 weeks, but it's hardly the case.

Another custom that was drilled into my mind was to use my right hand for eating and interactions with people - to use the left would be a sign of disrespect. Supposedly this is still true in the suburbs and outskirts, but within Bangalore I'm told that the custom isn't really practiced. Kids are told by their parents to do so, but the tradition is not really enforced, likely due to the amount of western influence on the city.

Finally, the head bobbing thing still gets me. This was mentioned to me briefly before I came, and it still throws me off whenever I see it. Sometimes, rather than saying yes or giving verbal confirmation, someone might just bob his head side to side as a signal. After growing up in the U.S., bobbing side to side looks a hell of a lot like they're saying "no", and it trips me up. It also doesn't look like a normal "no" either. Since they're actually saying yes, they're smiling too, so everyone just looks incredibly sarcastic. I'll get the hang of it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment