Saturday, August 14, 2010

Looking for some Indian Food

Today was our first free day, so I needed to work out meals on my own. I slept until 11, so when I woke up I was ready to grab some lunch. Four of us made a trip down Airport Road to find a restaurant recommended to us: Mac’s Fast Food. After glancing at the menu, I noticed: they don’t serve Indian food here. Some of my co-workers aren’t too keen on Indian food, so it was a plus for them, but I was shocked. I expected every restaurant in India to serve Indian food. If you were lucky, maybe you’d see 2 or 3 western items. Instead there seems to be a lot of outside influence on the cuisine here – even to the point of restaurants serving exclusively foreign dishes. It’s a big difference compared to my experience in China where it was Chinese food all day, every day. If you wanted American food, you went out and bought peanut butter and Oreos from a convenience store.

Anyway, I decided to steer away from the burgers and went with a Veggie Chinese Noodle meal, while the others got cheese pizzas and a lamb burger. Not the greatest Chinese food out there, but I didn’t really expect much either. After returning to the office and wasting our day away with ping pong, pool, and foosball, hunger struck again. We were ready to order some Indian food, only to discover that delivery didn’t start until 6:30; it was 5:00 at the time. I wanted some Indian food, but hunger was getting the best of us. In the end, we went with Papa John’s. That’s right, pizza in India. I got a medium Tandoori Chicken pizza, expecting to have leftovers. But when it arrived, I discovered that the serving sizes can be pretty different here. The medium ended up being an American personal pan sized pizza. Although delicious, it left me hungry afterwards. Sadly, there was a pizza size even smaller than the medium. But the saddest part of all is that I’m in India, craving Indian food, but failing to get any.

It’s okay though. Tomorrow is India’s Independence Day, so I’m sure we’ll be showered with all kinds of Indian treats then.

No comments:

Post a Comment